A Travellerspoint blog

Last Days of Holiday

sunny 28 °C

Last Days of Holiday

Tuesday 5th July - Friday 8th July

The Bird has to be dropped off at the port today all washed spotless so it will get through the tough Australian Customs check. I was going to wash it myself but one of the Aussies pointed us in the direction of a car wash place that specializes in cleaning vehicles to go overseas which only cost 5 quid so that will do us. The Bird loved the full on hand washing then I loaded her on the crate myself, gave her a big cuddle for doing such a wonderful job then Tess & I walked back along the waterfront to our posh English hotel. Later that night we caught up with the rest of the Aussies in town for dinner, a few beers & remaniss on all our travels. We were one of the most travelled with nearly 10,000kms covered through 13 countries in 9 weeks, pretty good effort I recon.

Today is travel day, time to start heading back home. We had to catch 4 trains to get to Heathrow airport then 2 planes a bus then another plane & a car to get back home. Got to Heathrow no problems as we are now veterans of the English train system then we had to stay awake for the 7 hour flight to Dubai so we could start to readjust to Australian time. 2 hours in Dubai then the big 14 hour flight to Brisbane with a screaming child 2 seats away that could scream at the top of his lungs for 14 hours straight without taking a breath so there was not much sleep to be had there. I made a suggestion that long haul flights have an enclosed sound proof section at the back for shithead screaming kids. Landed in Brisbane early Friday morning, caught the bus to the domestic terminal then caught the last plane to Townsville with yet another child kicking the back of my seat the entire 2 hour flight, did a mention an enclosed area for shithead children in planes. By that time I was ready to strangle any child on site but I resisted the urge, took the final leg of our journey to our lovely home in sunny, warm, tropical north Queensland in winter. Somehow we managed to stay awake until bed time with very little sleep over the last 48 hours of travelling so we could manage our jet lag. Our own bed has never felt so great especially as most nights on our travels were spent on an airbed in a tent.

Posted by Ross_Tess 15:12 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint